The big squirrel hunt in Unity, Oregon was held on Saturday, April 28, 2007. There were 32 teams and the sage rat shoot went fron 8am till 4pm. I will be posting a ton of video over the next couple of weeks, so come back and check them out.
Here are some of the stats for the big squirrel hunting day in Unity, Oregon:
- The total count of squrrels shot, picked up and turned in to the squirrel counters was 6,781 dead squirrels and 1 live one. (Which was promptly dispatched by one of the local girls.) Which makes the official count 6,782 squirrels.
- Here are the numbers for the top 3 teams:
- 3rd place brought in 604 squirrels.
- 2nd place brought in 635 sage rats
- And, (drum roll please) the first place team brought in 992 dead squirrels.
- It took two pickup trucks to haul away all of the dead squirrels.
- And finally, you never, ever want to smell 6,782 dead ground squirrels on a hot day, especially when they have been dead for the last few hours. (You have to remember, just about every squirrel was shot with a hollow point or a ballistic tip bullet, and it blows their guts wide open. Ewwww!)